You can prepare, bake, and eat easy, excellent edibles in under 30 minutes! (And not have even a mixing bowl to clean.)
When medical marijuana became legal in Rhode Island in 2006, a friend of mine began buying edibles in order to increase his desire to eat and to relieve tension. (Because of lung issues, smoking was a non-starter for him.) He knew he could save money by baking his own edibles, but the process of making canabutter and chocolate chip cookies from scratch, or even a mix, did not appeal to him.
I did a little research on canabutter and thought that the high amount of saturated fat in some store-bought refrigerated cookie doughs would serve the same purpose. I baked some at his place, he ate them, and in less than two hours, he gave me two big thumbs up!
Altered State Store Cookie Dough Recipe
Makes 12 cookies. Potency depends on your “herb,” so be cautious.
What you’ll need
- 1 package refrigerated, “break and bake,” chocolate chip cookie dough with high saturated fat content. (Makes 12 cookies) (Without naming a particular brand, there’s a very popular cookie dough* that chocolate lovers love [that’s a hint] which has 18 percent saturated fat. The more saturated fat, the better.)
- 1 teaspoon of finely ground herb
- An ungreased baking sheet
- Preheat oven to 350°
- In a manual marijuana bud grinder, a small mortar & pestle, or an electric herb/spice grinder, mill the marijuana as close to a fine powder as possible.
- Break apart the cookie dough, along the pre-scored lines, into cubes. Use your thumb to make a small indentation into each of eight cubes and carefully drop one-eighth of a teaspoon of ground herb into it. Place a little piece of the same cube on top of the herb and then knead the cube with your fingers or a forkto disperse the weed throughout that cookie.
- Place the infused uncooked cookie dough mounds on the baking sheet and follow the directions on the package. The four remaining cubes can be made plain (sans weed) and will serve as great munchies at the appropriate time! Place an M & M candy, or a pecan or walnut half on those cubes to distinguish them from the pot ones.
- Bake for the recommended time on the package. (Usually, 12-13 minutes, but you may want to bake them a couple of minutes more to insure complete synthesis—but don’t burn them.)
- Remove from oven and cool cookies two minutes on baking sheet, removing to cool completely.
Keep the cookies you don’t immediately use in an air tight container for three to four weeks, and they’ll be fine. They also can be frozen for a several months. (Check manufacturer’s recommendations.)
Eat ONE cookie only. Be patient and wait for the effect to kick in. Usually it takes one to two hours for a reaction. However, if it doesn’t happen within that time frame, wait, rather than eat another cookie. People have experienced significant negative consequences when they have overdosed on edibles.
Caution: Depending on the potency of your cannabis, one-eighth of a teaspoon may be too much or too little. You might have to experiment with different strains and different amounts. Be careful and enjoy!
James E. Fayal lives in Providence, RI and blogs at jamesfayal.wordpress.com