Instead of opening a cardboard door to find a piece of waxy chocolate, open your front door and explore the holiday in your town.
1. Dust off your Elf on the Shelf (motifri.com/alt-parenting-the-elf-must-die).
2. Head to Showcase Cinemas any Saturday in December at 10am for a free holiday movie.
3. RI does holiday theater right. Go see a play!
4. The PVD City Hall tree is something to see. Make memories on your way home from work!
5. Craft fairs abound in RI this month. Finish your holiday shopping with local art. The Little Pictures Show and Sale runs all month at the Providence Art Club. Also check out It’s the Little Things ArtProv or Little Works at HeARTspot Gallery.
6. Dump out your cold coffee and fill that travel mug with hot cider. Drive around and look at Christmas light displays! The Lewis Family Light Show, 12 Shenandoah Road, Warwick; Picozzi Family Christmas Display, 75 Gristmill Rd, Warwick; Conway Christmas Lights Extravaganza, 265 Maple Valley Rd, Coventry; The Frisina Family Lights, 283 Massasoit Ave, East Providence
7. Check out some of RI’s best hot chocolate (motifri.com/hot-chocolate).
8. Strap on your skates for the Newport skating opening and tree lighting.
9. SantaCon Newport by day, “As Seen on TV Burlesque” at Pizza J by night.
10. Boat with Santa through Waterplace Park (providenceriverboat.com/santa-rides). And stop by RHD’s Bizarre Bazaar.
11. Make a carefully constructed and detailed gingerbread house. Ah, screw it. Eat cookies in front of the TV.
12. Pile in the car for a trip to La Salette and witness the miracle of 300,000 Christmas lights.
13. Get ready to see Star Wars on Friday! But beware the dark side of the Force – Santa keeps a list of that shit.
14. Check out DeBlois Gallery Annual Fine Arts & Artisans Holiday Gift Show and Sale in Middletown.
15. Go to Sparkle at Blithewold in Bristol for a dose of Christmas magic, hot chocolate and s’mores!
16. RI Pilharmonic performs “The Messiah” at The Vets in PVD and House of Mood in Pawtucket performs 12 Days of Naughty Christmas. The choice is yours.
17. Music Sunday! Check out A Holiday Health Awareness Concert at The Met in Pawtucket and join the annual West Side Caroling event on the West Side of PVD.
18. Bake a canna-pie, perfect for those holiday gatherings. Just be sure to warn Grandma (motifri.com/danksgiving-recipes).
19. Head to Julians in PVD for their Solstice canned food and coat drive.
20. The Vets in PVD hosts A Christmas Celtic Sojourn.
21. It’s almost the big day! Sustainably wrap presents (motifri.com/recyclable-wrapping).
22. There are two shows well worth checking out tonight! Gary Hoey’s Christmas Show at The Met in Pawtucket and Boston Pops at PPAC.
23. It’s time for the Ugly Sweater Party at The Parlour in PVD! Or hit your local watering hole to give that ugly sweater its annual airing out.
24. Ditch your family to drink with your friends.
25. Merry Christmas! You made it! Now get ready for the New Year polar plunge.