The positive effect of CBD on humans has become more and more evident; however, there is another animal that could greatly benefit from it: your dog. All mammals have an endocannabinoid system and can utilize the benefits of phytocannabinoids such as THC and CBD, and the cannabis industry has recently starting marketing products targeted toward man’s best friend.
There are two main phytocannabinoids found in cannabis: THC and CBD. THC, the cannabinoid that provides the user with the classic euphoric feeling associated with cannabis, has relatively negative effects on dogs. It most commonly causes them to sleep heavily for a long period of time when ingested, but has been found to be toxic for canines in large quantities. CBD, or cannabidiol, is the non-psychoactive component found in cannabis that has been found to impact a vast assortment of conditions in humans, from anxiety and depression to cancer, epilepsy, Crohn’s disease, fibromyalgia, migraines and more. There are conditions that many dogs have that can be eased with CBD as well. Most common are separation anxiety, cancer, hip dysplasia, inflammation, loss of appetite, seizures and pain. Most drugs prescribed for dogs with these symptoms come with an assortment of side effects, usually things like loss of appetite, vomiting and diarrhea, sometimes more serious effects like increased heart rate and breathing, trembling and seizures, and decreased motor skills. Many people turn to cannabis as their medicine of choice to avoid side effects, and now are choosing the same for their pups as well.
CBD Dog Treats
- 2/3 c pumpkin puree
- ¼ c peanut butter
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- CBD tincture or capsules
- Pre-heat oven to 275 degrees F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine your CBD tincture with the pumpkin puree (if using capsules, empty caps into puree and discard empty capsules)
- Combine pumpkin, peanut butter and eggs and beat on medium in an electric mixer for 2 minutes until combined.
- Add 2 ½ cups flour and incorporate.
- Gradually add the remaining flour by the ¼ cup until the dough is no longer sticky.
- Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface to ¼ inch thickness.
- Cut out treats with your favorite cookie cutter.
- Place treats on prepared cookie sheet and bake for 25-30 minutes until edges are golden brown.
If you don’t want to make your treats at home, there are several companies making great looking products available online! These companies offer treats, capsules, chewables and tinctures for your pooch.
- Canna Pet (www.canna-pet.com)
- Treatibles (www.treatibles.com)
- Pet Releaf (www.petreleaf.com)