The brownie is classic, and there’s nothing wrong with that. But there’s also nothing wrong with taking your culinary skills to the next level with dark chocolate cake, a smoothie with no psychoactive effects or a jalapeno biscuit that your chili has been crying for. Add these recipes to your repertoire and invite your favorite cannaseur over to sample them.
Edibles are tricky. Please remember that producing them is only legal if you have a medical card. Also, remember to store them where children can’t possibly get them. Ever. And make sure they’re in a place where other adults won’t eat them by accident.
Grace Hyde works at the Green Leaf Compassion Center.
Dark Chocolate Canna Cake
Makes 12 servings: Use 1 gram of kief or hash (or more if you prefer high potency edibles) hash oil or infused coconut or cooking oil
2 cups sugar
1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup dark cocoa
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water
1. Preheat oven to 275°.
2. Grease and flour 2 9” round baking pans.
3. Mix together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl.
4. Warm the vegetable oil and mix with your cannabis concentrate, or substitute infused cooking oil for vegetable oil. Add to batter.
5. Add eggs, milk, and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer for 2 minutes.
6. Stir in boiling water while the mixer is running so you don’t scramble the egg. The batter will be very thin.
7. Pour batter into prepared pans.
8. Bake 40-45 minutes, cool, frost and enjoy!
Cupcakes: Makes 30 cupcakes, bake for 30-35 minutes.
Note: The cannabis cooks out at 300°, therefore we must bake it at a slightly lower temperature. Because of this, cooking times need to be adjusted. Be sure to watch your product while it is in the oven, and remove when a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine
2/3 cup dark cocoa
3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Melt butter; stir in cocoa; alternate adding powdered sugar and milk until combined; add vanilla
Strawberry Banana Raw Cannabis Smoothie
Note: The next recipe is slightly different than that of a typical edible. This recipe calls for raw cannabis, that is, not dried or cured, and preferably cut from the plant within 48 hours. Raw cannabis offers a vast array of health benefits, and some people go so far as to refer to it as a vegetable. Raw cannabis is full of amino acids, omega-3 fatty acids and, most importantly, cannabinoids that haven’t been activated. Before activation, the cannabinoids THCA and CBDA aren’t psychoactive, so you can therefore consume very large quantities at once (recommended 500-1000mgs daily) without psychoactive effects.
Raw cannabis consumption has been extraordinarily promising for those afflicted with autoimmune diseases.
5-7 raw cannabis leaves
1-2 raw cannabis buds (1-2 inches in length) stem removed
1 cup hemp/nut milk of your choice
1 banana, chopped and frozen
2 cups frozen strawberries, sliced
1 tablespoon agave nectar
Add all ingredients to blender; pulse until combined. Take care not to overheat the motor, as heat will activate the cannabinoids and produce a psychoactive product.
Cheddar Bacon Jalapeno Biscuit
Makes 12 biscuits
6 bacon slices, cooked and chopped
3-3/4 cups bread flour
1-1/2 tablespoons baking powder
1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1-1/4 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) chilled unsalted cannabutter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
2 1/2 cups (packed) coarsely grated sharp cheddar cheese
1 small chopped fresh jalapeno
1-3/4 cups buttermilk
1. Preheat oven to 275°
2. Line sheet tray with parchment paper.
3. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in food processor.
4. Add chilled cannabutter cubes, blend 30 seconds until combined.
5. Transfer to bowl, add cheese, jalapeno, and bacon and combine.
6. Slowly add buttermilk, combining evenly.
7. Drop ½ cup mounds of batter onto prepared baking sheet.
8. Make 25-30 minutes or until tester inserted comes out clean.