November 11 promises to be a day filled with food, friends, fun and some of the best craft beer at Grey Sail’s 10th Anniversary Bash at the Grey Sail Taproom, in scenic Westerly, RI.! Grey Sail will also be honoring Veterans through a partnership with Work Vessels for Veterans, Inc.
Ten years ago Jennifer Brinton and Alan Brinton started with an empty 1920s macaroni factory and warehouse,a few tanks and minimal staff. Since then they expanded the brewhouse, and added a taproom, staff and brewing capacity thanks to the love and support from beer lovers around the Ocean State and New England.
On the cutting edge of climate change prevention, Gray Sail is the first craft brewery in the state to implement technology to capture waste carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions from its production process and reuse it on-site to carbonate the beer. Rhode Island plans to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 45% by 2035, and the Brintons estimate that their system equals the absorption work of 1,500 trees a year.
“As a local business in a coastal community, we are committed to doing what we can to reduce our carbon footprint in all aspects of our operation,” said Alan. “This investment in Earthly Labs technology allows us to reap environmental benefits from brewing great beer.”
Does the locally harvested CO2 add flavor? You’ll have to taste to find out.
Ketch The Buzz
Their seaside location inspired their nautical-themed “Captain’s Daughter” Imperial Double IPA .
Brewed with high-quality pilsner malt and flaked oats makes this beer light in color, but certainly not in body nor alcohol content. It is aggressively hopped with Mosaics out of the Pacific Northwest, giving the Captain’s Daughter a strong aroma and flavor of tropical and stone fruits. Full body, exotic bouquet, her allure is fresh and tropical but she has a bite! She commands respect.
Besides this wonderful DIPA, Grey Sail has a raft of other offerings::
- ‘Flagship’ is a gold-medal winning cream ale that is the perfect session beer for any occasion.
- ‘Flying Jenny’ is an unfiltered extra pale ale crafted with five different malts and complemented by northwestern hops. ‘
- IPL Great Ketch’ is an India Pale Lager brewed with German pilsner malts and hopped with Amarillo, Simcoe, Galaxy, Equinox, and Citra.
- ‘Pour Judgement’ started as an exclusive for the Pour Judgement Bar and Grill in Newport, RI as their house IPA. Brewed with the finest German malt and Eureka! Hops, this beer gained so much devotion that they now offer PJ IPA “to go”.
- ‘HazyDay’ is a Belgian Wit, with a pronounced yeast characteristic and subdued spicing. It’s a refreshing, unfiltered beer perfect for those hot Summer days.
- ‘AutumnWinds’ is Gray Sail’s Oktoberfest-style ale, brewed with five premium German malts — a bready aroma, dense creamy head and brilliant garnet red color. Prost!
- A true comfort beer, ‘Leaning Chimney’ is a winter seasonal brewed in the robust porter style using peat-smoked malt.
Visit their website or order to-go, view their hours, or make a reservation: www.greysail.com
The anniversary bash runs on November 11 from noon to 8pm.
Grey Sail Brewing of Rhode Island, 63 Canal Street, Westerly, RI 401.212.7592. Tour the Earthly Labs powered CiCi ® CO2 system by request. Fans can also see a sneak peek of the system in action online on Instagram @greysail. Growler Station and Tap Room Hours Hours: Wed – Fri 3-8 PM. Saturday 12-8 PM. Sunday 12-5 PM.